Street Signs in Stroud Green

edited July 2010 in Local discussion
Here’s something that I’ve been ruminating on for a while. In common with all too many places, Stroud Green is plagued by the following phenomenon: Despite the fact that it is well served* by attractive and well crafted metal signage from – I believe – the Victorian era, most of this signage has been supplemented (rather than replaced) by cheap, stained and ugly plastic signage for no good reason that I can ascertain. The metal signs have been left to rust and decay, with the exception of a few which have been lovingly maintained by – one assumes – the homeowners of the buildings to which they are attached. I have been contemplating trying to set up a voluntary campaign to restore the original signage prior to campaigning to get rid of the nasty ‘new’ signs where possible. In most cases it would only take a couple of hours work with a wire brush and some black and white metal paints. Or at least I guess so; I won’t pretend to have done it. Any thoughts on this? Am I on to a loser? I might be the only person who cares. A *Not as well served as in many countries of course, where they have road signs on every street at every junction. Holland is particularly good as I recall.

Comments

• edited July 2010
    I approve of this endeavour, though realistically can offer no practical assistance.
    Thinking about it, isn't there already a movement underway to declutter the streets? And already there's been some evidence of it at work in the area, ie, the removal of the phallic traffic island on Tollington Park. So the time is right.
  • edited 10:39PM
    Yes, emphasising decluttering (and also the conservation area) seems sensible. Though of course it doesn’t matter how many people approve if no-one is willing to lend practical assistance. Come now, Big Society and all that. A
    A noble endeavour. Should be Islington and Haringey sides though (isn't the conservation area just one side?) You want to get this bloke in. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1294636/Meet-urban-superhero-nighttime-mission-fix-town.html
    I like his style, but i'd want a cape at least. Is the situation the same on the Islington side? I must say I haven't looked/noticed. A first step might be to identify them all, noting state of repair. I'll have a go at restoring one. There's an original one attached to my house which is not technically a road sign but states 'Mount View Villas', presumably denoting the stretch of big three stories along that side of MVR. I could then publicise some tips, and call for volunteers... A
    I would love to see the clock, on the estate agents opposite Nandos, cleaned up, fixed and working.
    Good shout Beek. We could include other street furniture of merit.
    It's a nice idea. I would guess that the newer signs are lower down, where motorists are more likely to be looking, whilst the older signs are higher up on the side of buildings. So the new signs are presumably there to be consistent with road signage nowadays.
    I'll shimmy up a ladder with a paintbrush. Are we doing guerilla restoration or do you think the council will furnish us with ladders etc.?
  • edited July 2010
    Can I watch you do that? What I mean to say was: I've contacted the legendary Councillor Wilson already to get the official opinion of the council. If not I suggest we form a restoration foco.
    @Arkady
    It's pay per view - start saving!
    I'll get a piggie bank. A
    Is flirting allowed on sg.org?
  • 1) Great idea
    2) I'm very excited about being called 'the legendary Councillor Wilson'

I'm guessing the Council doesn't maintain many of these old signs because they are on private property and difficult to access (so its probably just easier to stick up the less attractive newer signs). But I've emailed the 'streetscene' officers at Haringey to find out what the official explanation is.

I've also emailed the Hornsey Historical Society to see if they have had any experience of trying to get these signs renovated.
  • AliAli
    edited 10:39PM
    Big Society in action
    Thank you Councillor! Let us know what they have to say… I noted today that someone has been maintaining the signs at the Oxford Rd/Florence Rd crossroads.
    I like this idea a lot! Go for it!

One thought, though, on why the council may prefer the 'new', characterless signs: they carry the postcode of the road in question, whereas the old ones pre-date the modern postcode system. In my street, for example, we get 'Marquis Road N4' at the corner of Stroud Green Road but just 'Marquis Road N' on a private building at the corner of Victoria Road.

Could this be a problem for posties? Don't think so -- they mostly know their walks, at least according to the Communication Workers' Union.

What about visitors from outside the immediate area? If they know which postcode they're travelling into, they'll also know that when they get here 'N' equates to 'N4'. Seempelz! Squeak!
    The main reason I love the old signs is precisely that 'N'. It reminds me of Arthur Machen's story of the same name, in which Paradise is located in Stoke Newington.
    Perfect expression of Big Society - volunteers doing a council's work.
    I can see the Daily Telegraph/Guardian articles now as all our troubles begin to subside thanks to a top-down scheme for dismantling local infrastructure. Presumably house numbers will be the next target for SG's crack team. Aesthetic matters aside do you pay council tax? If so will you ask for a discount or send the council an invoice.?
    As noted in my original post, I’m sceptical that many of these old signs needed to be replaced with the larger and low-level ones, but the car argument is convincing in many cases. This is largely an aesthetic issue, and the council has more important things to spend money on, especially at the current time. Certainly I would not expect the funds to come out of general taxation. This is indeed a good example of a community trying to make their neighbourhood nicer with their own organisation and effort, rather than just moaning about the government like you. I don’t quite understand your house number point. Is the council obliged to provide house numbers on private houses? A
    @twinspark
    No, I'll do it out of civic pride and in the spirit of joining in to make things a teeny bit nicer for everyone. In the same way that I occasionally pick up other people's rubbish.
    Miss Annie -- Glad to hear you sometimes pick up other people's rubbish; me too. It astonishes me, with all the litter bins around, that some folks still prefer the pavement as a place to deposit their rubbish. The only things I draw the line at (and I've seen quite a few of these lately) are:

(1) used condoms
    (2) discarded syringes, and
    (3) human turds.
    Oh! I wasn't aware those were disturbing anybody!
    wow. i draw the line at turds generally. as well as other things.
  • I've had a not especially helpful response from Haringey's 'frontline services team'. They are saying that all they do is replace signs when they are told one is damaged or missing. It will then be replaced with a sign that meets their design standards, which are set out in their 'streetscape manual'. The link to this is here:

http://www.haringey.gov.uk/index/environment_and_transport/roadsandstreets/road_maintenance2/streetscape.htm

My computer wont let me read the manual for some bizarre reason, but I think this confirms that they don't attempt to repair or maintain old street signs because they don't meet their new standard. I've now put in a query to the Council's conservation officers to see whether they think the old original signs have merit and should be protected.

Either way - none of this stops some 'big society' action from residents themselves....

Richard
    Thank you Councillor. Is that an official local Lib Dem endorsement of the Big Society?
    So, to shimmy or not to shimmy, that's the question...
    I'm still counting on you shimmying.
    @Arkady
    Then shimmy I shall! did you get the piggy bank?
    @miss annie No, but I have some Lidl vouchers?
    @Arkady
    No luncheon vouchers?